Friday, August 12, 2011

Can you help me better understand my slip and fall claim?

I'm a 28 year old single mother and just a month ago, I was in my apartments laundry room and slipped and fell in muddy water that I think came from a leak in the washer and REALLLLLY hurt my back. I landed completely on my back, not on my butt at all. Ouch! My complex took the report and an insurance company contacted me and said they would pay all of my medical bills. Ok great, so I saw the ER Dr. the next morning when I got very concerned that I couldn't even bend over to unplug my phone charger, the ER basically said its a cervical & lumbar strain and gave me prescriptions for pain and muscle relaxers and referred me to a family Dr. I called the Dr. and since I have no insurance they wouldn't see me, I then went to the Chirporactor and she said the Xrays showed a "lot" of commotion and inflammation in my lower back and wants to see me over the course of 3 more weeks at the very least. I have been to now 3 of these appointments and heard that I may be entitled to "pain & suffering" and Yes, I am in great pain, still! So I asked the insurance company about this and they said they would have to open another type of claim, so an adjuster came out to my home, checked out the laundry room where I fell, my shoes and asked me questions. That was just about a week ago, he said he was forwarding his decision to the original person on my claim, and the original person said that I have to wait until I am discharged from the chirporactor and then they can offer me a settlement. I'm not familiar with this type of thing, can someone tell me what I should expect next? Am I entitled to pain & suffering? I am a single Mother and although I'm not in a huge amount of pain right this second, I am extremely uncomfortable every day and can't do normal day to day activities with my kids. Can you please share with me your experiences? She said my medical bills would automatically be covered up to $2000, should I just be happy with that and go on with life? I have already used $1200 for ER, and paid a few Chiro visits and hat if my chiropractor treatments go over $780, which is what is left for medical coverage? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment